Saturday, July 30, 2011

Becky Sippert - Final Thoughts

It is our 2nd day back from Nepal, and I must say that no one ever told me the hardest part of the trip would happen in the U.S.-- coming home.

Yesterday, I spent about 3 hours in the afternoon feeling really sick and jet lag-ey and passed out on the couch. All I really wanted the whole day was to just be back in Nepal. Thankfully, telling family and friends about the trip and looking at pictures has been a great way to overcome the separation anxiety from leaving.

Today, I am feeling much better. I attempted to go for a run this morning, but it made me feel sick again. I actually ran into my dad about 1.5 miles in and joined him on his morning walk for the rest of the way, so that was a nice surprise. I told him more about the trip and all the different places we stayed. Today will also be filled with the pleasant distractions of errands, chores, hopefully a nap, and spending long-awaited time with friends.

I know that this Mission Helper Trip turned out to be more of a blessing to me than I could have possibly imagined, and I pray that it was just as much of a blessing to those we visited in Nepal. The Mission Helper Program is great, and I strongly recommend going on a trip to EVERYONE. Of course I realize that time, money, and responsibilities prevent many from going, but for some they can also be excuses not to go. That is why I want to say that if anyone reading this is even a little interested in going on a Mission Helper Trip, give it serious thought and prayer. If I have learned anything from this trip, it's that anything is possible with God. Ok, I guess I didn't learn it so much as have it reinforced, but my point is that obstacles such as lack of time and lack of money will not get in the way of God's will. So even if you don't think you'll be able to afford a Mission Helper Trip or you don't know if your job will let you take the time off or whatever else may be a problem, you shouldn't write it off as an impossibility.

Someone asked me recently what the best part of the trip was. The answer I gave was the kids we came to visit, especially their singing. I can still hear the children's songs in my head from the very first lesson we gave, even though at the time I was only half conscious from sleep deprivation. One of the songs they sang was taken from Psalm 118:24, which is a new favorite of mine since hearing it sung so often in both English and Nepali. The passage is "This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." And it's such an appropriate passage for all of us Mission Helpers. It's a great reminder that even though this day may feel less significant to us because we aren't traveling through a different country teaching children, it is still made by God and still holds opportunity to do His work and praise Him. Those days that we were given in Nepal were certainly blessed, but just because they have come and gone doesn't mean they can't continue to be a blessing to us. We all saw and experienced so much on this Mission Helper Trip that will help us in our further work in God's kingdom in our own country. For that, I am so thankful.

To God alone be all the glory,

Becky

1 comment:

  1. I also want to give a shout-out to everyone that put any time and effort into this trip-- Pastor Ohlmann and the rest of the team, the Bitrakoti family for the incredible work they have done, the other HCLCN pastors and church members, and all those who gave their offerings, prayers, and support.

    I will continue to pray for all of our brothers and sisters in Nepal and for the continued work of all these people.

    ReplyDelete