Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Final thoughts from Melanie


Seeing poverty is so difficult. Just the feeling is out of this world. You become overwhelmed with compassion and you get this crazy 5-minute adrenaline rush to save the world. If you're fortunate enough to have friends sharing your experience, they'll feel it too, and you guys can feed off each other's ideas: let's start a non-profit organization of our own to save these kids! Let's get them into better homes! Let's give them more food! Let's bring them new, undamaged clothing! And eventually it comes to: let's move to Nepal!

Well, I can't move there any time soon. I'd have to save up money even to pay for my one-way ticket. But I can do something every single day while I'm back here in America.

God has given us a huge tool we take for granted every single day. I know I do. It has the power to change lives, to comfort, to strengthen, to bless, to request.

God has given each one of us the special ability to pray and to speak to Him. And that is what we need to do. Motivation, inspiration like the above, the compassionate feeling to help the people afflicted with poverty can be cured with a prayer to God, like this:
I know I am just one soul in Your world of billions, Lord, but I want to make a difference. I have seen Your power work through many, many things, and I ask for Your help. I ask that You further my inspiration to serve Your kingdom and help the cause presented to us in Nepal.. or I ask that You continue to bless those who are working in Nepal and call me into something equally rewarding. It's not my place to choose what my path is, but it is my place to ask. If it be YOUR will, Lord, I would be thrilled to be involved in directly helping these people. I ask that You give me the means to do so. Provide me with talents so that I may serve Your people during my time of grace.

I am so blessed to have had this experience and I hope and pray I'll be able to return or serve on another mission-helper trip with Pastor Ohlmann. Thank you, to those who supported us, who followed us as we documented our experiences, to our parents, our friends and most of all, thanks to God who gave us safe travels, good weather, courage and patience for teaching, and strength to climb the mountains. God is good!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful prayer! I'm so thankful to our God for blessing this trip with willing young people and giving them hearts to serve. May we always say, "Thy will be done." Prayers continue for every place where His Word is being taught.

    ReplyDelete